Holy artichoke, Batgirl!

I’m thinking a lot about the stamp carving and about what motifs I want to do. Thematically I have an urge to go with cooking related motifs, since I do a fair amount of scrapbooking for my recipe binder, and I haven’t found a lot of stamps for that which suit my style and plans. Why not make them myself?

I had a nice big piece of the linoleum left and wanted to do an artichoke. It’s a simple shape and a very pretty vegetable that can be stamped in so many nice colours. I also wanted to do it a bit larger so that I could use it as a background if needed. When I was done with the sketch it ended up being about 13×14 cm.

I gotta tell ya, carving something larger is much easier than carving something tiny, duh! Once the design is drawn the carving itself went fairly quickly.

Now, the stamping was a whole other matter. Linoleum isn’t really a gentle or precise material like the rubber stamps or the clear stamps I am used to. And with that large a stamp it took a few tries to get it right. I don’t have a press or anything like that, so is was hard to get the imprint to cover the paper. This is what I learned:

  • With big areas that need ink, the tiny ink pads are useless. The linoleum needs a lot of ink or paint and with those tiny things it starts to dry up before you even get a chance to cover it all. Plus, if I had kept going at it I think the whole ink pad would be ruined.
  • The larger ink pads works fairly well, at least when I tried with ColorBox fluid chalks (which looks so deep and beautiful after heat setting!). But you have to press down really hard to get an even imprint.
  • The image definetely looks better after pressing the stamp down with two heavy books.
  • Acrylic paint works better than stamp pads.
  • But it dries very fast so if you use it as it is and press it down it almost works as a glue and the paper gets stuck to the stamp.
  • If you mix the acrylic paint with a glossy medium it doesn’t get stuck, which is much better…
  • Dabbing the paint on with a foam brush worked much better than rolling it on with a roller, it was easier to distribute the paint evenly

 

This is how it looked with the fluid chalks, the one on the left I pressed with some heavy books and the one on the right I didn’t:

 

Here’s the result with acrylic paint (mixed with a glossy medium). The one on the left is the one with the paint added with a foam brush, and the one on the right I rolled the paint on with a small roller, with different results:

jen_carving_artichoke2

 

With the roller the paint was distributed unevenly and with a thicker layer, so depending on the result you want it might actually lead to a cool effect. I love the veiny pattern that appeared:

jen_carving_artichoke3

With the glossy medium and the roller it becomes really vibrant, and I can just imagine doing this with colours that really pop. However I think that I’ll have to give it a few more tries because the result will be harder to control.

Now I have to think of a way to use these prints (wont be to hard)! I can’t wait!

Follow on Bloglovin